Kayla & Dre

Kayla & Dre
Photo taken at a nearby creek

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Andre's first track meet

Today, we got up early and went to LCHS... Andre competed in a local track meet. He was very excited and nervous not knowing what to expect! I signed him up for the 400 because I wasn't sure how he'd do considering this was his first race. I was so proud of him, when it was his turn... he stood at the starting line with the biggest smile, he was so anxious. He made it half track then began chatting with my niece (she was just a little ways behind him running too) they were having a good time!!! I later asked Andre what they were talking about and he said Mom I was waiting for Kylie and telling her to run with me... I thought that was so sweet that he cared enough for his cousin to hang with her. I was so proud of both them, they were awesome!!! I even caught my sister (Miss Track Star who absolutely loves the sport) teary eyed. Okay so I'm sitting in bed typing this so I don't have Andre's race results nearby but I'm pretty sure for the 400 his time was 2.23. He came in second place for the age group 5 -8 yr. When he finished and the announced the 800, he said hey Mom I want to do that one to so I let him.... well I think the 400 was just a practice run, he was trucking during the 800. I got caught up in the moment cheering for him, it was so emotional!!! He finished first place. Andre was so happy! When he crossed the finish line, I had tears of excitement rolling down. He got lots of cool stuff, medal, ribbon, water bottle and a gift card for Dick's Sporting Goods. (so guess where we had to go after the race today???) Dick's, he bought a tent... he and Kayla are camping out in the living room. It was a really cool to see so much excitement and a sense of accomplishment in such a lil' guy.


No comments: